Continuum of Care Reform (CCR)
On October 11, 2015 Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed legislation that comprehensively reforms placement and treatment options for youth in foster care. Assembly Bill 403,(Stone D-Monterey) sponsored by the California Department of Social Services, builds upon years of policy changes to improve outcomes for youth in foster care.
This effort known as the Continuum of Care Reform draws together a series of existing and new reforms to our child welfare services program designed out of an understanding that children who must live apart from their biological parents do best when they are cared for in committed nurturing family homes. AB 403 provides the statutory and policy framework to ensure services and supports provided to the child or youth and his or her family are tailored toward the ultimate goal of maintaining a stable permanent family. Reliance on congregate care should be limited to short-term, therapeutic interventions that are just one part of a continuum of care available for children, youth and young adults.
Information For Providers
- STRTP Facility Administrator - 12 Hour Course
- County Child Welfare Agency Point of Contact List for FFAs and STRTPs
- MHP County Contact list for those wanting to become a STRTP and/or gain a Medi-Cal Contract as an FFA/TFC Provider
- Overview of Provider Requirements – Effective 1/1/17, CCRB Pub 1 (10/16)
- Probation point of contact list for STRTPs and FFAs to use when submitting Program Statements for Letters of Recommendation
Foster Family Agencies
- CCR List of Resources for Foster Family Agencies
- CCL/CCR Information Release – Foster Family Agency Interim Licensing Standards (08/29/16)
- FFA Interim Licensing Standards, Version 2 (01/06/17)
- FFA Application and Supporting Documentation Checklist, LIC 281D (08/29/16)
- FFA – Program Statement Template, LIC 9128 (08/16/16)
- FFA Core Services Matrix (08/01/16)
- FFA - Implementation of Resource Family Approval Program (01/12/17)
Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Program
- STRTP Interim Licensing Standards (ILS), Version 1 (Released 10/14/2016): These Standards implement provisions of Assembly Bill 403 (Chapter 773, Statutes of 2015) and Assembly Bill 1997 (Chapter 612, Statutes of 2016) that govern STRTPs effective January 1, 2017. Please send questions or comments regarding the Interim Licensing Standards to Teresa.Owensby@dss.ca.gov and Marisa.Sanchez@dss.ca.gov.
- Provider Orientations: The CCLD-Children's Residential Program Offices are in the process of arranging STRTP orientations throughout the state. For additional information, please contact your local regional office.
- Letter of Recommendation: Prior to submitting an application, a STRTP applicant shall obtain at least one letter of recommendation in support of its program from a county placing agency as specified by ILS § 87018.
- Administrator Certification Training: A group home administrator who possesses a valid group home certificate is exempt from completing the forty (40) hours of Initial Certification Training Program classroom instruction and passing the written exam, provided the individual has completed 12 hours of Department-approved courses as specified by ILS § 87064.2. For a list of approved vendors for the 12 hours continuing education courses, please see the Vendor Lists.
- Accreditation: STRTPs have up to 24 months from the date of licensure to obtain accreditation as specified by ILS § 87089. For information regarding the reimbursement process for accreditation fees, please see: ACL 16-72 (September 7, 2016). CDSS will accept accreditation from the following entities:
- Mental Health Program Approval: STRTPs have up to 12 months from the date of licensure to obtain a mental health program approval from the California Department of Health Care Services, or from a delegated county Mental Health Plan as specified by ILS § 87089.1.
- Rate: For information about the CCR STRTP rate structure, please see ACL 16-79 (September 22, 2016).
- STRTP Information Webinar Power Point
Calendar of Events
Communications Tool Kit
This communications tool kit is designed to provide general information regarding the Continuum of Care Reform.
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 6
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 5
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 4
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 3
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 2
- CCR Newsflash, Edition 1
CCR FFA/STRTP Workgroup
- 2015/11/06 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2015/12/15 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/01/19 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/02/22 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/03/15 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/04/19 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/07/22 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/08/30 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
CCR State/County Implementation Team
- 2016/01/14 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/02/11 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/03/23 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/04/21 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/05/19 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/06/16 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/07/21 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/08/18 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/09/22 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/10/20 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/11/17 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2016/12/08 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
- 2017/01/26 Agenda | Meeting Minutes
Stakeholder Implementation Advisory Committee
CCR Probation Workgroup
Performance and Oversight Workgroup
Questions regarding the Continuum of Care Reform can be emailed to: email@example.com