Welcome to the California Department of Social Services

Right Column

More Services

Special Services | Health | Transportation | Housing | Disaster Services

Special Services

  • The Assistance Dog Special Allowance Programprovides a monthly payment of $50 to eligible persons who use a guide, signal, or service dog to help them with needs related to their physical disabilities. The allowance is to help pay the costs of food, grooming, and health care for the dogs.
  • Deaf Access ProgramThis website provides basic information about California's public programs for deaf and hard of hearing children, adults, and families.
  • How to Apply for Disability BenefitsIf you feel that you are no longer able to work because of physical or mental reasons, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance ( SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income ( SSI) disability payments, or for Medi-Cal.
  • In-Home Supportive ServicesIf you are over 65 years of age, disabled, or blind, IHSS will help pay for services provided to you so that you can remain safely in your own home. For more information and to apply for these services, contact your local county welfare office.
  • The Services to the Blindwebsite provides information services, programs, entitlements, and products for individuals who are blind or visually impaired and their families or service providers.


  • Medi-Cal InformationMedi-Cal is California's Medicaid health care program. It pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with limited income and resources. To apply, call or visit your local county social services officeand ask for a Medi-Cal application. When you apply for disability benefits under the Medi-Cal Medically Needy Only program and you meet the county's non-medical criteria, your application for Medi-Cal disability benefits will be sent to the Disability Determination Service Division (DDSD) in the California Department of Social Services to be evaluated.
  • Learn more about a variety of Health Programssuch as BabyCal, Breast and Cervical Cancer Programs, and much more.
  • California Care Network (link removed):Most Californians who have on-going health limitations often prefer to remain in their own homes or apartments. Information about personal care and household assistance services (such as in-home care, day care programs, care management services, meal programs, home modifications, adaptive technology, transportation services, home health and hospice programs, mental health services, respite care, caregiver support programs, legal services, health insurance counseling, and other resources in your local area) is available through a network of Information and Assistance (I and A) providers.
  • The Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM)program is low-cost health coverage for pregnant women and their newborns from middle-income families who don't have health insurance and whose income is too high to qualify for no-cost Medi-Cal. AIM is also available to those who have health insurance if their deductible or co-payment for maternity services is more than $500. Services include prenatal visits, hospital delivery and full health services to newborn children through two years of age.
  • Healthy Families Programis a low-cost health care insurance program that provides health, dental and vision coverage to children who do not have insurance and do not qualify for free Medi-Cal.
  • Regional Centers for Developmentally Disabled. This website provides helpful information about some of the programs, services and supports provided by regional centers. You can also look up Regional Centersby county.


  • The CalWORKs Programhelps its recipients prepare for employment. Services such as child care, transportation, and work-related or training-related expenses are provided.
  • The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) provides up to $500 for qualified owners whose vehicles fail their biennial (every-other-year ) Smog Check, or $1000 to retire their vehicle. The program is operated by the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). To obtain an application and to see if you and your vehicle qualify visit the Breathe Easier website (link removed), or call 1 800-952-5210.

Back to Top


Disaster Services

  • The Disaster Serviceswebsite provides information on recent disasters and helpline numbers for requesting assistance.
  • California Grant Assistance for Individuals and FamiliesDuring a Presidentially-declared disaster, individuals and families who suffered losses can get help with expenses and basic needs through two grant programs: the Individuals and Households Program and the State Supplemental Grant Program. To register for assistance call the Federal Emergency Management Agency registration line, 1-800-621-3362. For the speech-or hearing-impaired, the number is 1-800-462-7585.

Back to Top